Best Walking Boots for Muddy Conditions
As every keen outdoor adventurer knows, it’s very hard to enjoy much of anything if your feet aren’t super-comfortable. In other words, choosing the best hiking boots should be very near the top of any outdoor kit list. Once the decision is made, long days hiking through beautiful scenery will be an absolute pleasure when you’ve got reliable, well-fitted boots to help share the load.
Choosing that pair can be tricky, especially because you’re looking at footwear that you want to last a good while. Generally speaking, a good pair of boots should keep you going for a minimum of three years; but a really great team could last you seven, or possibly more.
From tough leather hiking boots to lightweight footwear built for speed, there’s a boot out there for you somewhere – whether you’re an ambler, rambler, trekker, or speed-hiker.
Here, we have rounded up the top comfortable hiking boots so you don’t get riddled with aching foot and get your day hike ruined in the process.
Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge Plus Ii Waterproof Hiking Boot Shoe
Get all the comfort and support you seek with the Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge Plus II hiking boots. Leather and mesh uppers balance breathability and durability, while the waterproof construction ensures a dry fit in the event of wet weather. The Techlite™ midsole delivers powerful arch support and flexibility for a balanced feel, while the Omni-GRIP rubber outsole latches on to tough terrain.
Columbia’s TechLite midsole offers superior cushioning and a high-energy return when traversing over the rugged ground. The Omni-Grip sole is made with non-marking rubber and gives you excellent traction on slick, rocky, and steep terrain.
- It’s a waterproof boot for slick streets and rugged trails
- The technical non-marking rubber sole gives excellent traction
- Its seam-sealed construction ensures leak-proof waterproofing
- The lightweight midsole offers ultra-comfort with high-energy return
- The coated leather creates a durable structure for harsh environments
- It comes with a suede and meshes upper panels that provide breathable ventilation
- Very comfortable to wear
- Numerous outdoor enthusiasts raved about the lightness of this footwear
Teva Grandview GTX
Gear up for your next outdoor adventure with the Teva Grandview GTX hiking boots. These boots feature a durable waterproof leather upper and a GORE-TEX bootie to help keep both your shoes and feet dry, and their VIBRAM Mega Grip outsole provides ultimate traction on wet and dry surfaces.
Perfect for everything from a casual day hike to a weekend in the outdoors, the Grandview GTX keeps your feet comfortable, dry, and secure with an ultra-durable Vibram rubber outsole and a waterproof seal.
- It is a durable waterproof leather upper
- The TPU shank delivers support and stability
- Wider toe box reduces pressure and frees toes
- Its EVA-foam midsole offers extra cushioning
- It’s a 71% post-consumer recycled material that helps keep feet dry
- Nylon shank stabilizes and supports your foot on uneven terrain
- It’s a responsive PU footbed cushions foot that put a spring in your step
- It has a soft micro waffle knit lining that provides ultimate comfort against your skin
- VIBRAM Mega Grip outsole provides durability and extra grip on wet and dry surfaces
- They look really good Very comfy Lacing system very secure for a light-duty boot
- Little slippery on snow
KEEN Men’s Targhee II Mid Wide Hiking Shoe
Waterproof hiking boots are a definite must-have on the trail, and these fit the bill perfectly. Made from completely waterproof leather and with a rugged rubber sole for added traction, you’ll go a whole lot further.
KEEN’s Targhee II is one of their most celebrated models, and now it’s available in a wide model with a raised top, offering even more comfort and protection for feet of all shapes and sizes.
It’s constructed with KEEN.DRY leather that forms a membrane that is waterproof and breathable at the same time.
The multidirectional lugs on the bottom provide you with the traction to tackle any hike, and they especially come in handy on tricky descents.
- The Mid-height cuff offers support to help protect ankles from injury
- Patented rubber Toe Guards protect feet and uppers from impacts and abrasion
- Supportive nylon shanks provide torsional stability and protection from uneven terrain
- Compression-molded EVA midsoles offer shock-absorption and padding for all-day comfort
- Nonmarking carbon rubber outsoles with aggressive 4mm multidirectional lugs deliver durability and traction
- EVA footbeds get shaped to provide ample cushioning and arch support; they can also accommodate orthotics
- It has a Secure-fit lace capture system, with sturdy nylon webbing eyelets and heel wrap that helps lock feet to footbeds for increased support
- Webbing pull loops at heel and tongue allow easy entry/exit; padded, gusseted tongue keeps out debris and moisture while relieving lace pressure
- Its waterproof nubuck leather and flexible nylon mesh on uppers offer ample durability, flexibility, and breathability for comfort on the go
- The DRY waterproof breathable membranes keep your feet dry while allowing perspiration to dissipate before it saturates the inside of the shoe
- Support to experience every tougher terrain
- Non-marking rubber outsoles that ensure the durability and stability
- Provide extra comfort thanks to the high-quality material
- Breathable and keep your feet dry
- Size smaller than the usual size
Columbia Men’s Outdry Mid Hiking Shoe
A game-changing shoe with a unique style and versatility. The SH/FT Outdry Mid Shoe features a stretch-knit construction back with an OutDry membrane for a unique sock-like, waterproof experience.
Leather overlays provide reinforcement, while SH/FT cushioning offers all-day comfort and high energy return to keep you moving from the city to the trail. A standard-fit offers ample room.
Though these kicks feature a stylish sneaker silhouette, they are without a doubt made for the trail thanks to the OutDry laminate that wicks moisture and blocks out rain and the Omni-Grip sole that is specially engineered for the trails in all conditions.
- Lace closure offers a tried and proper fit every time
- Omni-Grip provides traction on muddy and dusty terrain alike
- Polyurethane midsole has added beads for smooth energy return
- Textile upper with leather reinforcements is durable, lightweight
- OutDry membrane keeps outside water out, wicks moisture from sweat
- Very comfortable
- Waterproof works well when walking
- Look great
- Stylish and functional
Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Mid Hiking Boot
The Moab 2 (literally, “mother of all”) boots are among the best hiking boots for beginners. Between the performance leather, mesh uppers, protective toe caps, and approachable price, look no further than to start here.
The Merrell Men’s MOAB 2 Vent Mid Boot is a hiking boot for comfort directly out of the box. Seriously, open the box and head to the trails. Whether you’re headed out for a day hike or spending a weekend in the woods, your feet will remain happy from heel to toe.
The durable upper holds up against dirt, rocks, and even pokes from the brush. The mesh vented slots encourage breathability, especially welcome on a hot day. The Vibram TC5+ rubber outsole grabs the earth with each step, so get a move on.
Sliding your feet into the Merrell Moab 2 is a reminder of what has made these shoes so popular for so long. It’s truly comfortable right out of the box with a cushioned collar and tongue, supportive footbed, and enough flexibility to take straight to the trail.
One noticeable area of improvement in the latest Moab shoe is the refined insole. You now get decent arch support, and the molded heel cup holds you nicely in place. Moreover, extra padding in the heel offers a surprising amount of trail isolation and underfoot protection.
This additional cushioning felt a little tall and funny at first but gives the shoe a customized feel as the miles add up and likely contributes to the impressive comfort over long trail days.
- Molded nylon arch shank
- Bellows’s tongue keeps debris out
- Synthetic leather toe cap and heel counter
- Breathable mesh lining wicks to keep feet dry
- Has best performance suede leather and mesh upper
- Allows foot to flexes more naturally for greater comfort
- The air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability
- The compression-molded EVA foot frame provides cushioning
- Traction on both wet and dry surfaces in even the most extreme temperatures
- Merrell M Select Fit Eco blended EVA contoured footbed with organic odor control
- Antimicrobial agents penetrate and disrupt the reproduction of the odor-causing microbes in your shoes
- Sturdy construction
- Thick cushioning for extra comfort and ideal warmth during winter
- Provide advanced traction for your trails
- Snugly fit your feet with the lacing system
- Lack breathability
- The rubber toe caps are a bit easy to get torn
Adidas Men’s Terrex Free Hiker Hiking Boot
Striking the ideal balance between rugged and athletic, these Adidas kicks have a knit upper to hug your foot and a Boost midsole to help you run the trail. The membrane is Gore-Tex, keeping water out and making these some ideal hiking boots for mud. Embrace the messy.
The Adidas Primeknit upper wraps snugly around the foot, providing support and super-light comfort. The adapted Gore-Tex 3D material makes the shoe wind- and waterproof without sacrificing breathability. The Continental rubber sole delivers superb grip, even on wet surfaces.
- It’s build of water-resistant materials
- Its molded toe caps protect your feet for a confident stride
- Continental rubber outsoles provide traction even on slick surfaces
- Responsive boost midsole cushioning provides outstanding energy return
- Sturdy heel caps and midsole stiffeners give a natural flex while delivering stable footing
- High-quality materials
- Great looking design
- Awesome cushion
- The Ankle area rubs too much considering it’s meant to be a sock-like shoe
- Doesn’t lock in fit very well
Danner Men’s 453 5.5″ Gore-Tex Hiking Boot
These serious-as-hell pair of boots justify the entry fee with Gore-Tex defense, all-leather uppers, and a footbed that can be removed in favor of orthotics for extra comfort. Plus, they’re made in the USA, and you have to love that.
The durable, nubuck leather upper offers comfort and durability, and the GORE-TEX lining provides waterproof, breathable protection.
Danner’s patented TERRA FORCE support system with TFX outsole keeps the boot light and comfortable while delivering outstanding traction on long expeditions.
This boot is built on Danner’s most popular boot, the 850. This fits true to size with an athletic and supportive fit while providing ample room in the toe.
The comfortable, supportive fit is ideal for those needing high mileage performance from their gear. The TERRA FORCE X platform provides:
- Lightweight, durable traction.
- Heel-to-toe energy transfer.
- Side support to enhance maneuverability.
- Protection from arch overwork and fatigue.
Danner helped expand the life of the 435 boot with a scuff-proof toe cap and TPU shank.
- It’s lightweight
- Has durable traction
- Heel-to-toe energy transfer
- Beveled lugs prevent debris build-up
- It features durable, nubuck leather upper
- Side support to enhance maneuverability
- Protection from arch overwork and fatigue
- Scuff-proof toe cap provides protection where boots tend to show wear
- The TFX lightweight outsole offers improved acceleration, downhill braking, and sidehill traction
- A hundred percent waterproof and breathable Gore-Tex liner is engineered to keep your feet dry and comfortable even in extreme conditions
- Well made
- Foot & Ankle support
- Outsoles not aggressive
- Outsoles wear too fast
- Not worth paying to resole
Salomon Men’s X Ultra 3 Wide Mid GTX Hiking
Whether you’re backpacking through misty mountains or summiting one lonely peak, you’ve always got to factor in the journey home. For trusted performance on tricky downhills, Salomon has you covered with the X Ultra 3 Mid GTX Hiking Boot.
Newly outfitted with Descent Control technology, these boots have the stability and traction you need for a safe journey back to the trailhead.
It starts with a High Traction Contragrip outsole, which combines two types of durable rubber and utilizes a special pattern in the heel for more grip and grabs when steep downhill terrain forces you to lean back.
Descent Control technology combines with an Advanced Chassis to keep your foothold strong and your heel stable on the gnarliest of terrain.
This boot is also built for high performance in wet conditions, with a special Gore-Tex membrane keeping the inside and outside of your shoe dry and that same grippy outsole maintaining its performance on wet surfaces. You’ve got a snug fit with Sensifit technology and a built-in mudguard to keep out mud and other trail debris.
There is a gusseted tongue that minimizes the excess pressure caused by laces, as well as a unique, anatomically shaped footbed to help your feet bend naturally to accommodate the twists and turns of hiking trails.
- Heel and toe caps protect and cradle your feet
- Waterproof upper with mudguard gives you a snug fit
- A waterproof hiking boot built for the trickiest of terrain
- Ortholite sock liner offers long-lasting underfoot comfort
- Contragrip outsole delivers traction in wet and dry weather
- Descent control technology provides a strong and stable foothold
- Gore-Tex waterproof membrane for rainy days and creek crossings
- Two different types of rubber on the hole provide water-resistant and durability
- 100% Synthetic material with foam cushioning makes your foot feel comfortable
- Stability thanks to a particular patterned area on the heel
- Two years limited warranty
- Fashion and modern design
- The shoe sizes are a bit more narrow than other regular ones
Ariat Terrain Waterproof Hiking Boot
Made of full-grain, oiled leather on top, it gets designed to provide ample toe space and plenty of room for your feet to breathe.
Additionally, it features synthetic soles that are so light that they won’t drag you down and instead feel like you are getting a massage as you walk.
Endurance riding means covering a lot of ground, a variety of terrain, and shifting weather. Our Terrain H2O is ready to meet any challenge with all-day comfort and durability built right in.
- Moisture-wicking lining
- Waterproof PRO construction
- Made of oiled full-grain leather upper
- ATS technology for stability and all-day comfort
- EVA midsole for lightweight shock absorption and cushioning
- The duratread outsole provides maximum wear resistance and flexibility
- They are for wide feet
- Very comfortable no matter where you go: hiking, walking, working, horseback riding
- They are waterproof
- The boots could give more arch support
- There could be some improvement in breathability
- Boots are a little bit pricey
Dunham Men’s Cloud Mid-Cut Waterproof Boot
The days are getting shorter, and the hills and mountains beckon. Answer the Dunham Cloud call — a mid-cut waterproof boot that is perfect for any weekend adventure.
From its speed lace eyelet system to the rubber outsole with a multi-directional grip design that maximizes surface contact and provides durable traction, the Cloud gets designed to take you anywhere you want to go.
Dunham Men’s Cloud Mid-Cut is a high-quality hiking boot that is sure to make your affair with nature comfortable and memorable, all for the right reasons! They offer great traction and support to tired feet and are essentially waterproof.
Plus, they are slip-resistant and enhance the confidence of traversing along tricky hiking trails. These Dunhams are among the most comfortable and budget-friendly boots currently available in the market.
- Full-grain leather upper
- Seam-sealed waterproof construction
- Rubber outsole with multi-directional grip
- Fiberglass stability shank embedded into midsole
- Removable molded EVA and memory foam footbed
- Adjustable to fit a variety of feet
- Suitable for outdoor working
- Provide extra water-resistant and keep your foot dry
- Using despite all kinds of weather
- Not very breathable, make your foot hot in summer
Factors to Consider Before Buying Best Walking Boots for Muddy Conditions
With so many types of walking boots available and such various features to choose from, it’s important to know what it all means before choosing your shoes. Having the right boots for your adventures will ensure you stay supported and comfortable for many years in the outdoors.
The outsole is the walking boot that works hardest against the elements and the constant friction of walking, so it is undoubtedly the most important feature to look out for.
The outsole tackles two opposing forces: the first being the body’s weight, and the second being the force of the ground below that brushes debris and moisture towards the feet. This means that in combating these two forces, the outsole has a dual function.
The upper construction of walking boots refers to everything outside of the shoe above the midsole. This is where the bulk of the technical features lie and boot its shape and style.
The upper can be made out of various materials and fabrics, but the most common are leather, suede, mesh, and polyurethane. All have unique advantages and will influence the technicality of the boot.
Leather, for instance, is highly waterproof and extremely durable yet requires more care and attention than synthetic materials and a good breaking in before outdoor use. On the other hand, a combination of suede, mesh, and polyutherane is a fantastic all-rounder that offers great waterproofness, durability, and comfort.
The midsole is the layer of material that sits between the upper and the outsole, which lies at the boot’s very bottom. The midsole’s main functions are to provide support, and together with the outsole, prevent sharp objects from penetrating the soles and reaching the feet.
4. Are they waterproof?
Most boots get lined with a waterproof membrane, which is useful for not only weatherproofing your boots but allowing you to cross streams without a problem on your adventures. But, to avoid soggy feet, you don’t just want to keep the wet out; you need to let it out too; otherwise, your boots will be full of sweat and condensation.
4. Leather or synthetic?
Thanks to advances in materials, the differences between leather and synthetic boots are increasingly small. We could have said that leather boots were more durable and easier to care for in the past, whereas synthetic boots were lighter and required less ‘breaking in.’
However, today these differences are less pronounced, so the most important part of your decision should be the fit. If they fit correctly, then this is the best place to start.
Should you buy a size bigger in walking boots? Aim for the same size as your usual shoe size; boots shouldn’t hurt or pinch when you put them on; they are not the correct shoe for you if they do. Once you have chosen your size, put both boots on, stand up, let your feet spread out, and adjust.
Your feet may be between sizes. If so, then go a half size up. You don’t want boots to be too tight; thicker socks or insoles can get added to compensate. One brand might fit perfectly to your foot size, while others may be bigger or smaller.
Walking boots should be snug and comfortable, with no space for the feet to move around in but not too tight to allow them to remain breathable. When trying on boots, perhaps wear thicker socks than usual to keep in mind that you’ll need additional space for hiking socks.
A pair of high-quality waterproof shoes with expert craftsmanship is what every modern user desires to own. These waterproof shoes will not only embrace your feet through challenging terrain but also excellently protect them from water penetration under wet conditions. We hope our review was helpful.