Best Underwear for Long Hikes
When preparing for a hike or backpacking trip, the first thing to attach itself to you will be your underwear. The choice of underwear should consider its ability to breathe while wicking away moisture to keep sweat and wetness at bay. Other considerations include clothing that dries quickly, does not feel damp when wet, and doesn’t make contact with the
Good hiking underwear should be designed to prevent chafing and blisters, preventing it from becoming uncomfortable or painful.
Additionally, you should select the right underwear for your trip based on where and when you’ll be hiking.
In this article, we researched the available options for hiking underwear. We also prepared a list of things to consider when buying and our favorite pairs that other hikers have liked.
Before examining a list of the best hikes and their pros, let’s first talk about different types of hiking underwear available.
Synthetics: These are synthetic materials that make up the fabric of clothing. They include polyester and nylon but also other options like polypropylene, rayon, and blends of fabrics. Specific characteristics associated with these materials are not typically an issue for hikers as they still function just fine in all conditions.
- They dry quickly, as they typically do not collect sweat and are more efficient than cotton.
- They last for a long time
- The synthetic fabric is more clingy to odors than other fabrics.
Merino wool underwear is soft and also can keep you from itching. It is comfortable. Wool is blended with other materials to make it last longer and be stronger.
- Wools ability to absorb moisture means it has an excellent drying power.
- Merino wool’s core has a self-evaporative ability to release moisture when the weather becomes hot.
- This underwear wears out faster with constant usage due to repetitive rubbing against the elastic
- These underwear naturally resist odors.
In order to prevent chafing, these are the 10 best underwear for hiking as recommended by experts.
Smartwool Merino 150 Boxer Brief
Merino underwear helps you retain body heat. It features flat lock stitching for reduced chafing, and the elastic waistband is designed to offer maximum comfort.
It’s lightweight and made of 13% nylon core and 87% wool fabric for improved durability that feels good against your body.
Apart from being super comfortable, these underwear keep you cool and dry by regulating body temperature. They come with a semi-functional fly built in for convenience.
The boxers can be laundered by throwing them in the wash with gentle, warm water. Then tumble dry on low for best results.
- They are versatile in their warmth.
- It’s great for outdoor adventures and activities.
- This underwear is designed to resist odors
- They regulate your body temperature
SAXX QUEST Men’s Underwear
There are various types of underwear under the SAXX brand that have specific features to make them unique. Unlike other brands, the SAXX Quest model has a flat-out seam at its waistline, preventing abrasion and moisture wicking for an athletic experience.
This model comes in many varieties; for example, if you prefer more coverage, there are longer leg varieties of the Quest model that may be better if you’re wearing long pants during winter hiking.
Shorter shorts are good to wear under your exercise shorts. They will make you feel more comfortable during a hot day.
Additionally, there are tight-fitting and loser-fitting variations of the quest underwear. The type you choose is based on preference but note that they all feature the Ballpark Pouch design which provides support and gives a good shape.
- It is easy to wear and it breathes well.
- This shirt is made of a fabric that pulls sweat away from your body.
- The shirts come in different colors.
- It comes in many different patterns
Icebreaker Merino Boxer
Icebreaker’s slim fit gives you support and contouring, ideal for any endeavor. The stretchy material still offers a full range of motion and features
These lightweight underwear are not only comfortable, but difficult to wrinkle and dry quickly with the both warm and cool weather.
Boxer briefs come in a variety of sizes and colors so whether you are looking for something neutral or vibrant, there is an option to choose from.
They will dry overnight and be ready to go when you are, for any upcoming trails or trips that you had in mind.
- This cloth feels soft and smooth. It is made of wool and has a little stretch.
- This material is warm and does not smell.
- It quickly wicks away moisture, dries fast, and breaths well
- The fabric has a UV rating of UPF
- It has flatlocked seams to reduce chafing
- It can be washed by a machine.
- It has a slim fit
MERIWOOL Men’s Boxer
Long hiking trips can be taxing but the Meriwool boxer offers breathability and comfort. The underwear is tagless, making it perfect for a day
These boxers are crafted out of merino wool, so you’ll never have to worry about being wet or uncomfortable!
Meriwool underwear briefs are a great choice for long hikes because they allow maximum airflow while also wicking away moisture.
As if these features weren’t enough, this underwear has moisture-wicking properties that keep you comfortable and dry on long hikes.
- With an elastic waistband that will never roll or pinch you, this underwear is the perfect choice for all-day comfort.
- You can wear it while hiking in the winter, or when it’s hot outside
- It comes in a variety of colors
- This underwear is designed to absorb moisture
- Quick-drying underwear can be more comfortable on long hikes
- The underwear is breathable
- This is a great, easy-to-clean choice for long hikes.
Saxx Men’s Underwear
The SAXX Vibe Boxer Briefs features patented technology that minimizes friction and provides more comfort. These functional, high-performing briefs are great
Stay fresher while you hike longer with the help of these soft fabrics that provide breathability.
The SAXX Vibe Briefs fit are made with a special kind of material. They have nine panels.
Designed to alleviate pressure points and increase comfort, these underwear are the perfect choice for anyone who enjoys long hikes.
In addition to being user-friendly, the underwear is also designed for hiking long distances. Within this fabric, moisture wicks away quickly without ever sticking
The SAXX Vibe Boxer Briefs are machine washable and have been designed to give you friction-free support for unbeatable comfort.
Durable and comfortable enough for long hikes, you get all-day comfort with fabric that quickly wicks away sweat, so you stay comfortable and dry
- The underwear comes in a regular fit.
- The Ballpark Pouch provides comfortable support for long hikes.
- The underwear has a nine-panel construction with a three-D fit.
- It is seamless
- This underwear is very soft.
- It features moist-wicking
Minus33 Merino Wool Boxer
Minus 33 Merino Wool Boxer Briefs are lightweight briefs that can be used for both work and outdoor activities. They come in a variety of colors to match your preferences, and they allow air movement so you don’t get uncomfortable either from excess heat or sweat. You can machine wash these underwear as well, making them an easy addition to your
These skin-tight boxer briefs have a compression style sensation which works best as a base layer. If you are going to use them for regular activities, we recommend choosing the next size up.
Breathable and fast-drying wool briefs that reduce chafing allow for the most comfort on long hikes.
Furthermore, flatlock seams are much more durable than traditional seaming techniques and they’ll hold up through countless machine washes.
Long hikes often require certain underwear (such as seamless, lightweight boxer briefs made from Merino wool).
The Minus33 Boxer Briefs have a wide range of sizes and colors to choose from, making them an excellent option for traveling indoors or outdoors.
- Preventing chafing is an excellent reason to pick the right underwear for your next long hike.
- One benefit of this type of underwear is that it comes in a regular fit which is comfortable for all day use.
- It’s so soft
- The material is designed to keep the wearer drier and cooler when hiking for long periods of time.
New Balance Men’s 6″ Boxer Brief
Made with 90% polyester and 10% spandex, the fabric’s stretch is four-way and perfect for fly opening underwear.
Many people wear polyester underwear on long hikes to avoid excessive perspiration and the resulting moisture.
The boxer briefs also have a mesh gusset that provides better movement, making them ideal for hiking.
In contrast to many other brands, the fabric of this underwear will wear out after a few washes.
The waistband is wide, for comfort, but it often rolls down. The no-ride inseam only works some of the time as well. This tends to happen especially when wearing thin underwear material like these boxers.
- It is made from 87% polyester and 13% spandex.
- This underwear features 360-degree stretch
- It has a six-inch inseam
- With its breathable mesh gusset, this underwear will make long hikes more comfortable.
- It has a strong odor barrier
- The underwear has a soft, wide waistband for comfort.
- Fly opening
Reebok Women’s Seamless Hipster Panties
The best budget choice on our list is this pack of five underwear made with 95% nylon and 5% spandex for soft, absorbent, quick-drying wear.
The hipster style of the underwear is made to reduce bunching, while the spandex gives it a snug fit and comfortable movement. However, its edges are not seamless, which results in outlines showing through your hiking pants.
- No tag means soft in this underwear that is designed for long hikes
- This is perfect for women who are always on the go.
- The best underwear for a long hike
- The user-friendliness of this product is highlighted by its machine washing capabilities.
Under Armour Men’s Compression Shorts
If you are looking for a more successful experience when going on long hikes, there’s no better choice than the Under Armour HeatGear Compression Shorts.
Thanks to its quality material and increased support for muscle resting, our team highly recommends these pair of undergarments for all who take their fitness seriously.
Worn over or under your outdoor clothes, the Under Armour HeatGear Compression Shorts has four-way stretch fabric for comfort.
This underwear is perfect for your long hike, as it supports every lump and bump in the hip area with its performance-enhancing compression, while keeping you cool with its moisture-wicking properties.
The combination of 90% polyester and 10% elastane that make up these underwear makes them perfect for long hikes.
The HeatGear underwear is designed to keep you feeling cool and comfortable. Sensations created by moisture-wicking channels push away sweat and salt, ensuring that odor stays out of the way.
- The material of this underwear is polyester and elastane.
- The underwear also has a fast-drying feature, which is essential for long hikes.
- It absorbs sweat
- The underwear is lightweight
- Inseam panels in these underwear offer strategic venting
- This underwear is designed with four-way stretch construction to improve mobility.
David Archy Performance Hiking Underwear
Another affordable option, these boxers are the least pricey on this list and come in 16 different colors.
Their versatility makes them an excellent option for many different situations – they come in three options of structure: mesh with no fly, mesh with a fly, and solid without a fly.
These are more affordable but build with lesser quality materials. They’re made of polyester and spandex.
Even though they’re of slightly lower quality, they still perform surprisingly well for their price point. They’re breathable, fast-drying and have a roomy crotch area. The design is snug while also stopping you from getting too sweaty.
This underwear isn’t antimicrobial and it bunches up, so it’s not great for long hikes. The sizes run small as well.
- The 3D pouch on these briefs is roomy and excellent for keeping your lower body at ease.
- This underwear is seamless and flat, so it will never chafe anywhere on your body.
- The seamless design on the hip region is one of the Best Underwear for Long Hikes
- Comfort is key to enjoying the great outdoors.
- Fabric that quickly dries
- These high-tech underwear offer better protection from the cold, offers a snug and comfortable wear
Buying Guide for Best Underwear for Long Hikes
When you’re picking out your next pair of underwear, make sure they’re comfortable. If the undergarments aren’t comfortable, then neither will be the hike you take them on. When buying a new set of leisure wear for hiking trips, don’t overlook how important it is to choose underwear that won’t disrupt your experience and spoil it
For anyone going on a long hike, make sure your underwear is both comfortable and breathable. Consider materials that dry quickly.
Here are factors you need to consider:
The best underwear for long hikes are those that can withstand heavy use and washing. The construction of the underwear also makes a difference in durability, so spending time to evaluate these factors when purcasing new underwear will be worth your effort.
It’s important to follow instructions on how to wash clothes. If you don’t, they’ll wear and tear quickly. So, buy underwear that can survive a few rounds in the washing machine without harming their durability
Instead of regular underwear, you need something that can be hand-washed and machine-washed. Come to think of it, you also want pantyhose that are quick dry because then you can quickly wash your smalls during the night while you’re out hiking.
3. Cut And Construction
Individual choices in underwear can vary depending on the person, but whatever you choose is tailored to your personal preference.
Choosing underwear can be a difficult task, especially if you’re hiking for days on end. One of the most important aspects of choosing this clothing item is that it’s made with care because sensitive areas will chafe and move around without good construction.
You might also want to think about the type of fly opening you like. A good fly opening can be handy and allow you to take a pee without taking your underwear off, but try not to get too caught up in this detail.
This is parallel to what you would find in regular underwear, but it is still important to determine if the undergarment has a fly.
Including a fly without need is an uncommon feature of many men’s underwear. Ensure that if you want this, it features the fly before you buy any product.
5. Drying Time
When it comes to hiking underwear, the material is important because you don’t want clothes that will take a long time to dry if they’re wet.
Cotton underwear, or any other fabric heavyweight material, is the worst to wear on a long hike because it takes forever to dry. If you want an easy wash and quick drying time, choose synthetic fabrics like nylon or polyester for its lightweight quality.
5. Travel Capability
When considering what to wear for a long-distance hike, you should consider the comfort and weight of your underwear.
When looking for the best underwear for long hikes, it is worth noting the weight of the underwear, especially if you are conscious about this. Fortunately, most lightweight materials will be good for your hike.
Our favorite pair of underwear for long hikes is the SmartWool 150. Surprisingly, they’re not cheap – but it’s worth it. They fit great, are durable and made from wool merino so they prevent any irritation and moisture wicking.
With the vast information available about the best hiking underwear, you’ll have no problem finding a style that suits your needs.
Many people worry about the type of underwear to wear while hiking. This guide have given you a breakdown on what factors matter and features to look for when shopping for top-rated hiking underwear options.