Best Mess Kit for Open Fire
In the great outdoors, you don’t have the ingredients, equipment, and tools regularly available in your kitchen. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t eat well when you’re out in the wilderness. With the Best Mess Kit for Open Fire, you can completely change the way you eat on your next camping or backpacking trip. And best of all, you don’t even have to sacrifice packing space or weight!
Fortunately, there’s a ton of excellent mess kit options available on the market that are exceptionally lightweight and compact, as well as some more inclusive, robust options for car camping. Our top list has tracked down some seriously righteous mess kit options for all campers that you’ll no doubt be impressed with.
Whether you’re preparing for a road trip and want to bring along a proper camp kitchen or are embarking on a backpacking trek where every ounce and square inch in your backpack is precious, we’ve got you covered with some versatile and dependable mess kit options for every context! Let’s start.
MSR Trail Lite Duo System Cook Set
The two-litre aluminium pot holds enough grub for two hungry hikers, and the nonstick surface makes for easy cooking and cleaning.
Add in the DeepDish bowls, insulated mugs, and the combined ultralight trail weight, and you have a kit that gets destined to impress palates all across the backcountry.
The Trail Lite Duo Cook Set delivers all the lightweight, space-saving benefits of a minimalist cook set without forcing you to be Spartan about what you cook.
The system features a tall 2-litre hard-anodized aluminium pot that accommodates two and keeps the menu options open.
The dish set includes two colour-coded MSR DeepDish Bowls and Insulated Mugs, which nest perfectly inside the pot for all-in-one packing convenience and space-maximizing efficiency. The folding, locking handle keeps it all in place inside your pack as you cover the miles. Its features are as below.
- Cookset includes a 2-litre hard-anodized pot, a strainer pot lid, 2 DeepDish bowls, two insulated mugs and an integrated pot handle
- Hard-anodized aluminium is strong and light, and it spreads heat evenly for good cooking performance
- Clear lid lets you see what’s cooking in your pot, as well as an integrated filter that eliminates the hassle of draining water from noodles or steamed vegetables
- Two polypropylene DeepDish bowls work well no matter what’s on the menu, be it soup or pasta
- 2 12.5 fl. oz. Double-walled insulated polypropylene mugs keep your drinks hot and easy to handle. It also includes sip-through lids
- Mugs and bowls are colour-coded to prevent mixups
- All components of the MSR Trail Lite Duo system nest within the 2-litre pot for easy packing
- The 2.5L pot allows you to cook bigger meals for larger groups.
- The pots are made out of lightweight aluminium, and the plates, cups, and filters are made out of heat resistant plastic. Everything is light yet sturdy.
- The deep-dish plates have high walls, so they can also be used as bowls.
- The mugs are double-walled insulated to keep hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold.
- This set only comes with one removable handle for both pots, so cooking with both at the same time can get tricky.
MalloMe Camping Cookware Mess Kit Gear
When you get back to the campsite, you need to start cooking and need a cookware mess kit that is versatile for your camping trip. You need the right cooking equipment to make your outdoor cooking fast and easy. One cookware mess kit that is a must-have is the MalloMe Camping Cookware Mess Kit.
This cookware is great for camping, but you can also use it during picnics and small gathering outdoors. The kit is excellent for the solo backpacker camper. Let’s dive into the reasons why the MalloMe cookware kit is a multi-purpose, durable cookware set that will make your cooking experience much more pleasant.
- Made with non-toxic materials: This cookware is made from high quality and non-toxic materials to ensure that the food you cook stays safe and free from toxic chemicals that might cause illness when consumed. MalloMe Camping Cookware Mess Kit is 100% secure and FDA approved.
- Easy to clean: It is made with nonstick materials for easy cleaning even when cooking the messiest meal. Just wash it with water, and the stain quickly goes with it.
- Easy storage: This product consumes just a tiny space in your backpack since the ten-piece cookware set is collapsible from the main pot up to the smallest one for easier packing.
- Complete set: This set contains all cookware stuff that you need for cooking a variety of delicious meals that are great for campers. It has a nonstick pot that can hold up to one litre, stainless steel fork that can fold for more accessible storage, Soupspoon, other bowls, and many more. This is best if you do not want to worry if you pack all the things you need before you go.
- Designed for convenient cooking: This product is designed for campers who aim to experience more convenient cuisine—no need to make a list for personal stuff for cooking because it has it all.
- Easy to pack and carry.
- Highly functional.
- This outdoor cooking is more convenient and easy.
- It has high quality, lightweight, and very useful.
- It’s an incredible mess kit for its price.
- The pot is too small.
- The handle is poorly made and fell off quickly.
- Some edges are sharp.
- Poor quality.
GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Camper Cooking Set
This cooking set comes with a 2L pot, 3L pot, frying pan, folding handle, stuff sack/sink, four plates, four insulated mugs with lids and sleeves, and four bowls.
While this whole set comes with enough cookware to feed four people, it can easily be customized to fit fewer people just by leaving a few items behind. Its materials are very durable, and this cookware set will last you a long time.
- Unique design compacts for nested storage
- Spiral turned base grips stoves and grills
- Rugged stuff sack holds set and doubles as a sink or washbasin.
- Exclusive folding gripper locks on to exterior brackets to prevent scratching and to provide a secure handle while cooking
- Crushproof, heat-resistant strainer lid and silicone ring will not deform in packs and works with either the pot or the frypan.
- Amazingly compact design is fully equipped for campers’ Gourmet needs and is reconfigurable for everything from 2 people backpacking to 4 person car camping.
- This cooking set comes with enough cooking equipment to cook for four people.
- It can comfortably be sized down to work for fewer people just by leaving a few items at home, as well.
- The plates, bowls, and mugs in this cooking set are made out of Infinity Clear Polypropylene that is very durable.
- Each set of 3 (plate, bowl, & mug) is also colour-coded.
- The lids in this cooking set are crushproof and heat resistant. They also double as strainers.
- This cooking set comes with a 3L pot, 2L pot, and frying pan with Teflon nonstick coatings to make cleaning painless.
- The entire cooking set is nestable and compact enough to do packing and storing stress-free.
- Only one handle for all three pots – not fun.
- Not suitable for high (due to Teflon
Coleman Stainless Steel Mess Kit
If you’re looking for a good mess kit for preparing and eating basic meals around the campsite, this will do the trick without breaking the bank.
The mug is more valuable as a measuring cup than an actual camp mug. While the bowl doesn’t feel as durable as some of the others we tested, it was great for everything from soupy ramen to fried eggs.
- Pot lid converts to a frying pan for multi-purpose use.
- An interchangeable handle offers convenience.
- Bowl and mug are dishwasher and microwave safe.
- The BPA-free design provides peace of mind.
- Nesting design ensures easy transport and storage.
- Although this set has six pieces, it’s small enough for a one-person trip.
- Everything in this set fits easily inside the included stainless steel two qt—pot (whose lid turns into a frying pan).
- Affordable and stainless steel – what more could you want?
- Despite being made of rugged steel, this set is still easy to pack and carry.
- Like many others, it only comes with one handle.
- Since it is stainless steel, it’s not nonstick like Teflon. But it will last longer.
Overmont Ultralight Camping Cookware Set
Sometimes it is great to go camping with your whole family, enjoying the big spacious tent, and having a good time! But if you’re not into large groups or need to get away, it’s better to take a relaxing couples’ weekend. With the Overmount Ultralight camping cookware, it’s easy to set off on a camping trip for two!
The high-quality cookware comes with pots and pans and enough bowls and spoons for the two of you to enjoy your outdoor getaway.
Your frying pan, coffee pot, and pot are made from anodic oxidation aluminium and are set with a non-slip, thermal insulating handle. Not only is this twelve-piece set at a reasonable price, but it’s easy to store and pack back up when you’re ready to leave.
Overmont carefully made this cookware set with aluminium materials and coated it with a black coating. Mind you, the group isn’t nonstick, but it’s easy to clean regardless. This cookware set consists of a frying pan, pot, cleaning towel, bowls, spoons, spatula, and a carrying bag.
The EcoZoom Rocket Camping stove is compatible with it. Regarding the handles, they’re sturdy and gets insulated with plastic materials.
As we always do, we don’t recommend cooking over campfires except you’re using small coal pieces, and you’re keeping an eye on the fire. The kettle in this set is quite sizeable and can accommodate a handful of items when you’re stacking the cookware into the included mesh bag.
- 13-piece cookware set with pots and accessories.
- Made from aluminium materials and is easy to clean.
- It comes with a mesh storage bag for all the items.
- Can serve up to three persons effectively.
- Coffee pot
- Easy to pack
- Lots of plastics
Odoland 10pcs Camping Cookware Mess Kit
The Odoland, 10 Piece camping cookware, boasts a collection of 10 items to optimize your cooking process and teach an efficient packing method.
This package contains a teakettle, two 108 ml cups, a boiling vessel, a pan, chopping and eating cutlery, along with lids for the kettle and pan.
The kettle and cups are perfect for mid-trail breaks as the material enable rapid heating of liquids and cosy holding due to insulated outsides.
The most significant positive aspect of this set is that it is straightforward to cook with this cookware. It does what it is supposed to do and does not create any complications for the user.
There are many unpleasant parts to cooking when hiking and generally trekking with food. You have to think ahead of time how much ingredients you will need for each meal and pack them in zip-lock bags.
You have to hang the food above the ground if you are resting for the night. If you forget the pot cover, your vegan soup will contain a ton of insect meat, sad to say.
Do not even get me started on the gas canisters and burners: those are a natural killer if treated incorrectly. The process of cooking in the wilderness can be frustrating.
After all, this is not your comfortable kitchen. Nonetheless, whenever I take this kit, I always feel a great sense of relief. The food prepares quickly and without any hassle.
- It comes as a set of 10-pieces of camping cookware.
- This mesh kit features sturdy stay-cool heat-resistant handles.
- It sports a nonstick coating to make cooking easier.
- Features foldable handles and comes with a carrying bag.
- Enjoyable use.
- Simple but effective.
- Nice carrying bag.
- Heat-resistant handles.
- It rattles quite a bit.
- Colour palette.
REDCAMP 23 PCS Camping Cookware Mess Kit
REDCAMP is an experienced player in the market of camping, hiking, trekking, and backpacking. After staying relevant for ten whole years, they can be already considered veterans. REDCAMP has a very versatile range of products.
REDCAMP is a professional outdoor equipment brand. By adhering to the concept of “Focus on outdoor gears, Made for outdoor life”, we strive to provide our customers with the best outdoor experience and post-sales services. Trust Redcamp: enjoy nature!
The REDCAMP cookware mess kit is great for outdoor activities. All the pieces together are tiny and light that during your outdoor activities, it feels invisible. So feel free to BUY your cookware set, and don’t forget your family and friends!
- REDCAMP anodized aluminium pot and frying pan make it easy to clean.
- REDCAMP 23 PCS camping cookware kit has an oxford bag to storage product, and you can hang it in your backpack or put it in your pack.
- The REDCAMP offers a 360-day limited manufacturer warranty
- Complete design.
- Not for solo camping or hiking.
Bisgear 16 Pcs Camping Cookware Stove
We appreciate that this camping cookware set offers very compact and lightweight cookware, but it also adds in a camping stove that fits over a fuel canister. This package packs down into a carrying case, and everything is contained within for the ultimate in space-savings.
The pieces are durable, but how do they perform? Well, the pot is fantastic. It functions incredibly well on all types of heating, including gas, fire, and denatured alcohol tabs.
The same goes for the pan. They both heat up efficiently and quickly. More to this they are also capable of handling relatively significant portions and will last you a long-long time. They alone deserve five stars. The other items get eclipsed by the pot and pan duo. However, accessories perform pretty well too.
The spork is excellent and pleasing to eat. The serving spoon is a perfect addition and makes your life much easier when hiking in a group.
The carry case and the practical D-hook makes the kit unnoticeable when you are out in the wild. The stovetop works excellently: it lights up during bad weather conditions and does not go out quickly, all thanks to the built-in piezo.
Thankfully, the kit includes a fuel canister stand, which neatly complements the stovetop. Together, they can become your number one choice for camping. One thing to note is that the stovetop may not be suitable for the campers and hikers who are only starting.
We do have to warn that this kit suits only light packing hikes: you cannot go on a 7-day trip with this set. That would be a mistake.
Additionally, the bowls are trim for anything useful, but the presence of a high-quality stovetop makes up for these cons. You will not find such high-quality stovetops anywhere for the total price of this set!
- Anodized aluminium pot and frying pan make it nonstick, easy to clean.
- All the objects in this cooking set can get stored together in a mesh bag for space-saving and convenient carry.
- Lightweight and highly durable anodized aluminium perfect for camping backpacking, buy 1 Bisgear camping cookware set, you get everything that you or your family need.
- Incredibly durable.
- Nice to carry.
- Nylon bag.
- Easy cleaning.
- It’s only for short trips.
GSI Outdoors Bugaboo Base Camper
The Bugaboo Base Camper (Large) is the compact and versatile outdoor cook set you’ve been dreaming of. This mesh kit is constructed from highly-conductive, lightweight aluminium; these nonstick camping pots and pans are light enough for backpacking yet durable enough to satisfy the most demanding camp chef. With nesting storage configurations, scratch-resistant surfaces, heat-resistant exterior paint, and BPA-free lids, there’s never been a better time to ditch those nasty old pots and pans and invest in premium camping cookware.
One of the most incredible things about this option is that the waterproof-welded carrying bag can also double as a sink for quick washing out in nature. This means you can soak anything that has sticky bits after cooking, too.
A heavy-duty pot and pan come with this kit, and they both feature a triple-layer of nonstick Teflon coating for durability and even heat distribution. Also included are: two insulated mugs, a folding handle and a strainer lid made from nylon.
You’ll also receive two nesting bowls and sip-through lids that you could use for enjoying something like soup. Keep it hot, and don’t get burned in the process.
The design of this cooking set takes the cake with its understated colour hues and functionality to boot. We appreciate the looks, and while it’s not the most important thing, it certainly doesn’t hurt.
- Includes a 2L pot with strainer lid, which nests into a warm 3L pool with a strainer lid; also consists of a cutting board, pot gripper and stuff sack.
- Pots get coated with Teflon Classic for solid nonstick performance.
- Folding gripper handle locks to exterior brackets on pot and frypan to prevent scratching and provide a secure handle while cooking
- Includes sturdy cutting board with both concave and flat sides for a variety of prep duties
- Crushproof, heat-resistant strainer lids
- A spiral-turned base grips your stove and grill arms
- Mesh stuff sack keeps the set organized.
- Best overall design.
- Non-stick Teflon coating.
- Carry a bag that doubles as a sink.
- No cutlery included
Winterial Camping Cookware and Pot Set
We have put several cookware sets on the test and have found out that the Winterial Camping set provides excellent value for money. Regarding its level of efficiency and sturdiness, this camping cook set gets unparalleled. Furthermore, if this cookware set is properly utilized, one could use it every year without ever thinking of getting something new to replace it.
Despite having up to eleven pieces, this Winterial cookware product is compact enough for more accessible transportation.
The pieces can fit into each other perfectly, enabling you to pack and travel in style. Moreover, when loaded, the overall product weight is a meagre one-point-five pound, explaining why it is an excellent pick for backpackers and campers.
So if you’re looking for the best camping/backpacking cookware for your home, you should consider the Winterial Camping Cookware and Pot set. It will be a suitable set for you and fellow campers as it is worth every penny spent on it.
- Its lightweight 10-piece cookware set for campers.
- It comes with a carrying bag and has a stackable design.
- It includes a tea kettle with stay-cool silicone handles.
- Nonstick coating on the cookware makes cooking easy.
- Quick, and even heating.
- It has a plate or cutting board combo.
- It includes a kettle.
- Award-winning choice.
- Heat-resistant handles.
- Only suitable for small groups.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Best Mess Kit for Open Fire
If you are still having some trouble choosing one specific listing or even narrowing down your needs, Here are factors we considered while testing which mess kit add to the list.
The first thing you’ll want to think about is how many mouths you need to feed. Solo mess kits are straightforward and typically won’t contain more than one or two sets of utensils, along with a pot or skillet for smaller meals.
For larger groups, you can find a wider variety of implements like various pots and pans, cleaning supplies, and cups, among other items.
2. Type of coating
Teflon and ceramic nonstick coatings are the two major coating surfaces for cookware. Teflon coating cleans somewhat faster but breaks down quickly once it gets scratched. On the other hand, the ceramic coating is more durable but highly expensive.
This is another critical factor you would want to consider. Your cookware should have a lightweight and compact design for enhanced portability.
As an outdoor camping enthusiast, I have always ensured that I have some way of picking my pots and pans safely. Thankfully, the best camping cookware sets for wildfire usually include a gripper for all their banks.
Your materials affect the mess kit in a few different ways, including the overall weight, durability and efficiency of the camp cooking process. Much like you’d choose, for example, a nonstick skillet for your home, the same considerations apply in the great outdoors.
Some of the materials used for mess kits include the following, and the great news is that all are suitable for use over an open fire:
- Stainless steel.
Camping and hiking are great fun—and so is cooking and eating beside the campfire. A big part of cooking vegan and keto recipes while hiking or camping are the camping coffee pots, camping utensils, and cast iron grills brought along to cook with it.
Never place your aluminium or stainless steel cookware directly in a fire. These metal types have a melting point that is much less than the temperature that a campfire can reach. Always be sure to use a pot or pan that has a metal handle. Plastic or rubber-coated handles can melt when used over an open fire.