If you walk or hike regularly, we strongly recommend a pair of trekking poles, or at the very least a walking stick. Poles improve balance and cut down significantly on wear and tear in your legs, especially in your knees, particularly heading downhill. But poles also make walking—one of the best and certainly most accessible workouts you can do—even healthier. They stave off injuries and lessen the impact, sure, but they also get your whole upper body involved.
It’s a fact that using hiking poles has been proven to reduce stress on legs and knees by up to 25%. Some hikers use them because they aid with balance or climbing steep hills. Others will carry hiking poles for all the above reasons and because you can use them to pitch a tarp or tent.
The most popular trekking poles used by hikers and backpacks are adjustable in length, with a clamp-style lever lock adjustment system instead of twist-locks because they are more reliable and easier to fix.
Hiking Trekking Pole Benefits
Trekking poles provide a lot of support when hiking, walking, or backpacking through various environments and surfaces. Using trekking poles alleviates a lot of pressure on your joints and reduces impact over time, allowing you to enjoy many hikes to come.
Using suitable hiking poles will help you keep your footing when encountering obstacles such as rocky terrain, streams, rivers, and puddles. You burn more calories and stimulate your core muscles when using hiking trekking poles for balance while maintaining a consistent rhythm.
Atlas Titanium Hiking pole
Most poles have a locking system that allows you to adjust a smaller or greater length of the walking sticks. But these locking systems vary, and you will find some are easier than others to work. Make sure you try out the locking system before heading to the hills or on a walking holiday. And see how easy it is to adjust the poles while wearing gloves, for example, on a winter’s day.
We researched and tested dozens of trekking poles to create this list of our favorites. Let’s start
Foxelli Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles
The Foxelli Trekking Poles are perfect for running or walking, with cork grips and a lightweight carbon fiber design. These poles are also designed to absorb shock, which reduces the impact on your joints.
These are poles that telescope (not fixed length), with quick-lock technology, so they are very versatile. It should be pretty easy to adjust them to a height that’s the best fit for you, considering that these retractable poles’ height ranges from 24″ to 55″. That’s suitable for pretty much anyone, from kids to some tall people.
Additionally, the Foxelli poles are designed to be used throughout all four seasons, and they come with enough accessories to prove that claim.
You will get tips suitable for mud, gravel, snow, asphalt, rocks, ice, sand, and even a pair that’s designed to protect the poles’ tips when you’re storing them. Considering the price point of this pair, I’d say that’s an excellent deal.
These walking poles also have a pretty good grip. It’s ergonomic and made from cork, so it is highly breathable, and it feels comfortable in your hand. On top of that, there’s also a foam extension below, as well as a wrist strap above that guarantees the poles will stay close to you no matter what happens.
- Lightweight – only 7 oz
- Retractable from 24″ to 55.”
- Shock and noise absorbent
- Ergonomic 100% natural cork grip with extended EVA foam sleeve
- Extra padded adjustable wrist straps
- 4 Season accessories
- Easily and quickly adjust poles’ length to fit adults or children.
- Heavy-duty fast locks make sure you stay safe on steep hikes.
- Increase traction, maintain balance, and minimize the impact on legs, knees, ankles, and feet.
- Foxelli Poles offer ultimate comfort, durability, and versatility under all trekking conditions for years to come.
- Very affordable carbon fiber poles
- Tips for all-terrain types included
- Ergonomic and breathable cork grip
- Heavier than most other carbon poles
- Occasionally a lock comes undone
Hiker Hunger 100% Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles
These hiking poles are made of 100% carbon fiber, which means they’re both strong and light. These affordable poles weigh just 7.6 ounces each, which means you’re carrying less than a pound when you have both in your hands.
To adjust your 3-section poles, simply flick the lock open, set the length, and flick the lock closed – a quick, tight, and easily accomplished task, even while wearing gloves. The carbon composite creates ultralight poles that reduce vibration and retain strength over a wide temperature range.
These poles get fitted with trekking baskets and durable tungsten carbide tips, including tip protectors for protection. Interchangeable tips allow you to switch between tungsten-carbide tips, rubber tips, and rubber feet to account for changing trail surfaces. Each pole can get extended to any length from 24 to 54 inches in length.
- This new, improved version makes these the most reliable and durable trekking poles you’ll want to take everywhere.
- There is a nonslip EVA Foam Grip extension under the cork grip for quick choke-up on steep climbs!
- The same kind of turn and lock device allows you to open and close the poles between 24 and 54 inches
- Each hiking pole come fitted with a metal tip and a rubber cover
- You get two rubber tips, two rubber feet, two mud baskets, two snow baskets, and a carry bag with a strap!
- Carbon fiber is a natural anti-shock material, so it is useful if you will be hiking in rocky or hard terrain.
- Plenty of accessories
- Carry bag
- Tips fall off easily
- The strap comes off easily
- Locks are not smooth
- Breaks easily
TrailBuddy Trekking Poles
This trekking pole offers the best combination of durable strength and lightweight portability in a complete set designed for the trekker’s comfort and ease of use. TrailBuddy Trekking Poles’ tough aluminum can withstand pressure and impact better than carbon fiber – crucial if hiking on rocky terrain or supporting heavier weight.
These are aluminum trekking poles, so they are very lightweight and durable. They’re telescoping poles with lever locks, meaning you can easily adjust the height to fit you perfectly.
And you have two ways of storing them – you can disassemble the poles entirely to make them only 21″ tall. Or you can retract them, which is a lot quicker – they will be about 24.5″ tall.
Another cool feature of these affordable hiking poles is that they come with multiple interchangeable accessories. This includes mud and snow baskets, as well as rubber tips, allowing you to adjust these poles to the terrain that you’re facing at any particular moment.
- Easier to adjust than twist-lock – Changing the height of these telescoping poles from 24.5 to 54 inches is a breeze even when you’re wearing gloves or trekking in wet conditions, thanks to its lever-locks
- Built for your comfort – Cork handles are comfy to use in both hot and cold temperatures, are moisture-wicking, and mold to the shape of your hand while the strap gets padded to avoid chafing your skin
- Very affordable
- Durable aluminum construction
- Multiple tips and baskets included
- A bit heavier than poles from premium brands
- Tips wear off quickly
Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork Trekking Poles
These collapsible poles by Black Diamond consistently top the list of favorites by hikers who love their durability, performance, and versatility.
Made for use in all four seasons, they have compact carbon fiber shafts, dual FlickLok Pro adjusters, and cork grips.
No worries whether you’re left and right-handed either, as the padded wrist strap can get adjusted to accommodate either. Two sets of baskets are included to accommodate both snow and regular trail hiking.
They’re made with a lightweight yet ultra-strong carbon fiber and feature two locking adjustment points to help you find the perfect height, then pack them down easily when not in use.
They’ve got a premium cork grip that feels comfortable in your hand and also wicks moisture as you hike and an extended non-slip foam grip that lets you choke up your grip when you’re taking on steep and technical terrain.
For maximum versatility, you’ve got interchangeable rubber and carbide tips that let you adjust to changing trail surfaces.
One aluminum and two carbon fiber shafts offer quick and secure length changes thanks to dual FlickLock Pro adjustability. Two kinds of baskets and interchangeable Tech Tips allow you to switch between carbide and rubber tips to account for varied trail surfaces.
- 100% carbon construction
- Adjustable length (24″-51″)
- Each pair weighs 17.1 oz
- Cork grip with soft rubber grip top
- Foam grip extension
- High surface-area wrist strap
- FlickLock Pro technology
- Interchangeable carbide Tech Tips
- 38mm trekking basket included (ski-compatible ferrule will accept 100mm powder baskets)
- Very well balanced
- Comfortable grip
- Section joint easy to get gritty and dirty requiring frequent cleaning
- Redesigned FlickLock Pro locking mechanism opens too easy
Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles
A trekking pole will make your ascent uphill much easier and cushion the blow to your knees and joints when descending downhill. The use of the right length and type of hiking pole is also proven to help hikers maintain a rhythm and increase speed whether hiking uphill, downhill, or across flat terrain.
If you are looking for a lightweight pole that is still durable, carbon fiber is the ideal choice. Each pole weighs only 8 ounces, so they won’t slow you down on the trail.
These poles feature a quick-lock mechanism for quick height adjustment and security that will support all your adventures. The non-slip cork handles and EVA foam down grip provide for a variety of hand positions to ensure that you have a well-balanced grip in any environment.
- 100% Carbon Fiber
- Pole extension lengths: 26″-53″
- Tungsten-Carbide tips
- Comfortable wrist straps
- Cork grip material
- Quick-lock mechanism
- Single pole weight (without rubber tips): 8oz
- 2 Pairs of Trekking Poles (4 trekking poles total)
- Comfortable lightweight carbon fiber
- Quick lock is easy to use
- Two rubber tips
- Can shatter with extremely rough treatment
- Strap comes off easily
Black Diamond Alpine FLZ Trekking Poles
Your knee can handle the first six miles of the trail into Wind River’s Cirque, but the last six miles will require Black Diamond’s Alpine FLZ Trekking Poles.
These poles fold into three sections so you can strap them to your backpack for the flat part, and Black Diamond’s SlideLock secures the poles, so they don’t collapse on your midstep.
FlickLock adjustments let you lengthen or shorten each pole to tackle various degrees of steepness, and both the tips and baskets are interchangeable for powder baskets if you want to take these poles skiing.
The Z-Pole Rapid Deployment System consists of a concealed inner cord and a single push-button release. Borrowed from Black Diamond’s tested avalanche probes, a center cord provides surprising strength and stability.
Similar to tent poles, the sections snap securely into place, resulting in weight savings and increased collapsibility that enables them to take up far less packed space than traditional poles.
Natural cork grips serve as tactile ergonomic handholds, and an extended-length design provides a place to choke up on side hill traverses without having to constantly make height adjustments. Padded adjustable webbing straps help to reduce stress on your wrists.
Two sets of tips are included. Carbide tips deliver solid traction for trails or ice. Non-marking rubber tips can get used to prevent trail damage and provide grip and durability. Broad diameter baskets allow the poles to perform well even in snow.
- SlideLock technology improves ease-of-use when locking your pole
- Improved joint support and stiffness
- Natural cork grip with dual-density top and breathable, moisture-wicking strap
- Non-slip EVA foam grip extension
- Three-section foldable shaft with speed cone deployment and FlickLock Pro adjustability
- Aluminum construction
- Flex Tech Tips allow either carbide or rubber tips to be used
- Trekking Baskets and Compactor Powder Baskets
- Ultralight at just 14 ounces
- Three-section carbon shaft for a convenient and compact carry
- Rubber grip with rib pattern to reduce vibration
- FlickLock provides total adjustability to suit the terrain at hand
- Changeable tips and basket
- Cannot be fitted with powder baskets, making them a less than ideal choice for any winter activities.
- Rubber is not my favorite to hold, especially when it gets hot.
LEKI Micro Vario Carbon Trekking Pole Pair
Do you love sporty trekking and are often on the go? The Micro Vario Carbon, equipped with lots of details, supports you uphill and downhill and helps you save energy.
In addition to the anatomically formed AERGON Thermo Long Grip and the super simple Speed Lock 2 Adjustment System comes the newly developed ELD External Locking Device, which ensures more stability and safety on the mountain thanks to its special construction.
The pole can get folded together to a pack size of 40 cm at the push of a button and can get stored in any backpack. Weighing in at just 240 g, it is a real all-rounder.
This pole has it all, compact, Lightweight pure carbon shell, Speed of assembly, and collapse thanks to its push-button release mechanism, up to 20cm adjustable height enabled through the speed lock collar.
- External locking device (ELD) – Special construction for even more stability and safety. Easy to handle – a push button releases the pole tension
- Folding poles – lightweight with the smallest pack size. Ideal poles for climbing, trail running, small tours, or to take along on the road.
- Speed lock 2 – high holding force. Fast adjustment. TÜV certified. Adjust your poles to the most convenient length with Speed Lock.
- Aergon – ultralight and edgeless Aergon Thermo Compact grip for a comfortable fit in every hand
- Lock security strap (skin) – the LEKI Skin Strap is an ultra-lightweight, highly breathable strap offering maximum comfort with minimum weight.
- 100% pure carbon – pure carbon for pure joy. Super light and stiff for the optimal swing action.
- Thermo long – Thermal extension for a comfortable fit in every hand.
- Flex tip short – more precise pole use and perfect grip in nearly all terrains.
- LEKI offers a global lifetime warranty on material defects and manufacturing defects, as well as a ten-year availability guarantee for spare parts.
Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Z Z-Poles
Be it backcountry summer trip or trail running through rugged terrains; Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Z Z-poles are lightweight and compact trail running poles. These versatile poles always provide optimal functionality and comfort in the mountain environment.
This 100% carbon construction provides maximum durability, and improved joint support makes it easier to use for any trekking trips. Also, the swapping of Trekking baskets with Trekking Compact baskets makes it ideal to use for all four seasons.
The addition of Flex Tech Tips allows you to switch between carbide and rubber tips when you are trekking through rugged terrains or mountaineering through high rocks. This very helpful and lightweight trekking pole also features a Natural cork grip that offers maximum comfort and wicks away moisture perfectly during the difficult mountain ascent or descent. And Non-slip EVA foam grip extension provides a secure grip and quick choke-ups on steep terrains.
- 100% carbon construction combined with a 3-section foldable shaft for quick storage and speed-cone deployment for on-the-move extension
- Natural cork grip with dual-density top and breathable, moisture-wicking strap
- Nonslip, EVA foam mini-grip extensions let you choke up on steep climbs and summit attempts
- Flex Tech Tips accommodate both carbide and rubber tips; spare tips get located inside a small pocket on the hook-and-loop retaining strap within the product packaging
- Includes 60mm trekking baskets and compactor powder baskets
- Quick, easy deployment.
- Minor play in the joints.
- Durability of cork grip is questionable.
- No lower grip option for side hilling.
Mountainsmith Carbonlite Pro
It is made of lightweight carbon and aluminum; Mountainsmith Carbonlite Pro trekking poles feature extended length cork and foam grips, built-in antishock, and 3-section adjustability.
The Carbonlite Pro’s molded cork and EVA foam grips are both soft and firm for a more comfortable handhold, and an extended length of texture beneath the standard grips enhances usability. Adjustable webbing/neoprene straps and an integrated antishock system help to minimize the impact on your joints.
- Molded cork handle or EVA handle
- Three telescoping sections
- A spring-loaded antishock system with a twist lock-out feature
- Twist-lock Double Cam adjustment
- Removable hiking baskets with locking pin
- Rubber boot tips
- Adjustable webbing or Neoprene wrist strap
- Snow basket compatible
Mons Peak IX Tiger Paw Carbon Trekking Poles for Hiking
The Mons Peak IX Tiger Paw Carbon trekking pole get designed for high-performance, long-distance hikes and is perfect for traveling lightweight.
Made from 100% carbon with high strength dense Carbon Fiber Composite telescoping tubes, this hiking pole is one of the best in the market, complete with adjustable height via snap-click compression locks.
The tightening nut also allows for precise lock compression strength. A dimpled top palm grip allows for comfort, molding into your hand, creating ease-of-use, and strength complete with silver pole markings grants excellent visibility in any light.
These Mons Peak poles feature a cork grip that’s quite comfortable but also really good at wicking away sweat. Which means they will feel sturdy in your hands even if your palms start sweating. Plus, the foam grips come contoured with an EVA foam extension for ultimate comfort on those long hikes.
- Collapsible trekking poles made of lightweight and super strong 100% carbon fiber engineered for trekking, hiking, Snowshoeing, and also as walking sticks
- Natural cork grip with EVA grip extension contoured dimpled palm grip with adjustable nylon straps provide firm grasp in any situation
- Height adjustment via two hard-anodized aluminum steel and polymer snap-click compression lever locks equipped with easy-to-use finger tightening nuts
- Telescoping tubes retract to compact 24.5 inches also include carbide and rubber tips performance snow/Sand baskets Plus Silver on Black pole markings that allow for easy visibility in any light
- Extremely lightweight
- Four-season trekking poles
- Comfortable cork grip with EVA foam extension
- Won’t fit in a carry on suitcase
Factors To Consider Before Buying Atlas Titanium Hiking pole.
Before you decide on what hiking pole to settle on, kindly consider the factors below
Height And Portability
With the best foldable trekking poles, you will have the option of choosing between several sizes. And that’s exactly how it should be – a pair of trekking poles can’t be equally comfortable for a 5′ woman and 6′ man. But then again, that’s an issue you only have to worry about if you’re getting trekking poles that fold.
There are also telescoping trekking poles, which are a lot more versatile in height adjustability. Unlike fixed length poles, they can get adjusted to almost any length. These are also suitable for children when they’re fully retracted, which is pretty impressive.
The three main types of grips seen on trekking poles featured in this review are cork, foam, and rubber. Cork is the dominant one, and it’s very popular among passionate hikers and backpackers. That’s because cork is very sturdy and breathable, meaning that your hands don’t sweat too much even when you’re holding onto the trekking pole for prolonged periods.
Rubber grips do not retain moisture, and they are the best insulator. This makes them the grip material of choice for winter or cold weather pursuits. They also are best for reducing vibration, so it’s a good choice for high-impact activities like mountain climbing.
Foam grips are a good choice for warm-weather hiking. They absorb sweat and have a nice texture to hold. As with rubber, foam grips can at times produce friction blisters or red hotspots from repeating rubbing.
Trekking pole shafts are usually made of aluminum or carbon fiber. Both are light and relatively stiff. Carbon fiber poles, however, have superior characteristics and are more expensive. They are lighter, stiffer, more durable, and absorb shock better than aluminum poles. Reinforced carbon poles are popular for winter use since they aren’t cold to the touch in low temperatures and their superior durability.
Before you buy poles for your next expedition, do remember to go through the features and then choose. The Foxelli’s pair of trekking poles is one of the lightest ones, and yet, the anti-slip cork and the armrest are a few of the features that many may like.
Trekking poles are not a strictly necessary piece of gear, but many choose to take them on their hikes because they provide many benefits. Poles take a lot of strain off your joints while you hike and can help you maintain balance through various types of tricky terrain.